Monday, October 31, 2016

THE FITBIT FAD
Is this club worth joining?
by Lucia del Pilar
You’ve probably seen people wearing a little device around their wrists, looking at it every few steps. Maybe you saw these people at the supermarket, mall, office, or even school.  The devices you saw were most likely the latest trend -- a Fitbit.  Twenty percent of 5S owns one!  
I sat down with two Fitbit owners to find out more about this Fitbit fad. To learn more about Fitbits, visit fitbit.com.

I have a Fitbit Charge 2. I bought it because it met my needs perfectly: seeing texts, tracking steps, and helping me sleep well. What was the main reason you got a Fitbit?
GABY SOARES: I bought the Fitbit Alta [which tracks steps, calories burned, shows calendar alerts and texts, as well as interchangeable accessories] because I wanted to set daily goals. I feel like I’m not walking as much as I should. Also, I wanted a watch-type thing.
ANNA STOUFFER: I own the Fitbit Charge HR [which tracks heart rate, steps, calories burned, shows caller ID] . I didn’t buy it myself, actually. I recieved it as a present. I wanted one because -- well, I’m not sure why.

I love my Fitbit. Do you like yours? What do/don’t you like about it?
SOARES: Yes, I do. It tells me how much I’m doing and it gives me reminders to move. I like the fireworks when you beat your goal, and it’s very friendly. It helps me with knowing the date and time as well.
STOUFFER: Yeah, kinda. It shows me my steps. I liked how I could have competions with my friends and see who wins.

Fitbit’s accomplishments are soaring sky-high. They won runner-up at TechCrunch50 in 2008 and CES 2009 Innovation honoree and best in Health & Wellness, but one-third of Americans ditched theirs six months after buying it. Do you think Fitbits will get even more popular? Or do you think they are in decline?
SOARES: Yes! I’m not surprised that they are getting awards. People first think “Oh, they’re not good.” But they help grown-ups who want to lose weight, not be lazy and beat fitness goals. [Fitbits] will most likely get very popular by the end of the year. They are getting newer and cooler.

STOUFFER: I think they are in decline, or will be soon. Mine broke, and I don’t plan on getting a new one. There are Apple Watches and other things that are waterproof and respond to texts and can do more than the Fitbit can do.

3 comments:

  1. I like the interviews, but I only have a flex.
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete